This call is for papers that critically address Victorian Technologies and/or the technologies of Victorian Studies. Whether you are interested in the Blackberry or the trans-Atlantic cable, you are invited to submit a proposal for a 20 minute paper to be presented at the ACCUTE/NAVSA joint panel at the Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities in Waterloo, Ontario from May 28-May 31 2012.
Possible topics may include:
- technologies of reading, writing, printing and publishing
- photography, phonography, telephony and other media and information technologies
- from horses to railways: technological innovation vs. the natural world
- industrial innovations and working with/as machines
- technologies of the body: medical instruments, prostheses
- the railway, the telegraph and other social networks
- theories, histories and discourses of the technological
- Archives then and now
- the history and future of the [Victorian/Victorian Studies] Book
- Victorian Studies e-journals and archive digitization projects
- Victorian Studies social media: blogs, facebook groups and twitter
- Victorian Studies and the digital humanities
Please submit your proposal by November 1 to Jennifer Esmail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission instructions are available at http://www.accute.ca/joint.html#submit. All submitters must be members in good standing of either NAVSA or ACCUTE.